Thursday, August 05, 2010

Snoopy Says Thanks!


Well, my birthday just didn't come, it came with my facebook friends!  There are different ways of looking at birthdays, either you love them or you hate them.  I propose a third approach- it's both!  Why do I hate it?  Well, for the obvious reason that I'm a year older (hopefully a year wiser too!).  It doesn't make me ancient but just the thought of advancing in years is kind of unsettling.  When I was thirteen, I thought anybody beyond the 30 or 31 days in the calendar, was old.  Well, I sure fit that bill now.  Second reason, I don't like all the fuss and the questions.  Gladly this year there wasn't much fuss even though there were still  lots of questions.  But there are plenty more reasons why I like it.  First, I got to request for a special meal. This year (as from previous ones) I asked for shrimp scampi and pasta. Boy, it was so good! Of course I had my cake and ate it too! We had our usual morning Mass and Father was kind enough to offer the Mass for me.  I got two Masses today since my brother-Priest also offered his Mass for me in a Marian Shrine in Switzerland where he is vactioning with Dad.   Then I got a lot of greetings from my facebook friends.  Imagine getting all this from strangers.  I think facebook is great!  I also love the fact that I was born on the feast of Our Lady.  THAT is my greatest joy.  I feel so lucky.  Then there were the gifts by special people who went out of their way to think of  gifts to give me and then buy and wrap them.  That took some love and attention. Then my sister called and my family's card from CA made it just in time for this day. Overall, I had a nice birthday.  It's a good time to re-examine one's life in the light of graces received from God.  What a great gift life is!  I never want to take it for granted.  God placed us in this world for a reason and He sure wants us to be happy.  Life is too short for petty things.  I pray that the best birthday gift I receive is to recognize what battles to fight.  Birthdays are reminders of what should really count in life.  The best thing about being in a convent on your birthday is that I got to spend all the time I wanted before the Blessed Sacrament in our Chapel in the evening.  So, my friend Snoopy and I would like to say, "Thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment