Saturday, August 15, 2009

What's in a Word?


There was a time when apologizing took a lot out of me. I had too much pride to step down my pedestal to tell someone "I am sorry." I never thought it made a difference whether I say it or not. I figure that given enough time, the whole issue will blow over and everything will be back to normal. But that often is not how it ends. Relationships get strained and tension builds up. Spontaneity is reined in because trust has taken a blow. It does make a difference. Saying "I am sorry " goes a long way. Whether that person is wrong or right, whether he or she deserves an apology or not, is immaterial. I am sorry because I unintentionally hurt someone.. sorry because that person took my words the wrong way.. sorry because that person was offended..
Someone said to me, "it's not my fault, why should I apologize?" Because love requires it. Because love does not take account of who is right or who is wrong. Because when we love someone we think less of ourselves. It all depends on how much you love or care, I suppose.

O Jesus,help me to love as you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment