Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Wisdom of the Saints


"I SUFFER ONLY FROM MOMENT TO MOMENT... IT IS BECAUSE WE THINK EITHER OF THE PAST OR OF THE FUTURE THAT WE BECOME DISCOURAGED." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

I have been feeling a bit discouraged lately. It seems to me that my spiritual life is not quite where it should be. I have been preoccupied with so many things and I feel saturated with non-essentials. I wish I can be out somewhere far and deserted, not having to worry about the everyday. You see, even in convents, the demands of daily living with its multiple tasks, can overrun you. But then again I recognize that this is precisely the proof of love. The everyday is the arena where one's faith and love are truly tested. The Sacrament of the Present Moment.. that is what St. Therese is talking about. Human nature has a habit of yearning for the past, pining for what is gone or beating oneself up for what was already done or living in the future, for something yet to be experienced, because it gives us a sense of adventure for the unknown. Maybe this Lent, I can live more in the Present, where God is. I need to refocus and get re-energized through prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment