Sunday, July 05, 2009

Rest In Peace


I was so saddened by the death of Michael Jackson. Despite all the bad stories you and I have heard about him, I can't help but feel so sorry for the way his life had ended. I feel sad because I see a person who died without really having lived. The wealth, power, popularity and adulation of the whole world were passing splendor. They were good while they lasted but did not really satisfy his deepest longings. For what can really fill a heart made for God alone? Where can we find our true happiness except in Him who knows what we truly need? I feel sad because I see a lot of good in him expressed in some of his songs. One of his songs, "You are not alone", touch me in particular. I don't know who he wrote this for or the motivation for composing it, but in its lyrics I discern a prayer. When I listen to this song, I seem to hear a frightened soul looking for God and God in return assuring him that even in darkness, he is not alone. Even if this darkness is mostly man-made, nevertheless, the pain is real and for a child of God, God is always a Father.

"Another day has gone, I'm still all alone
How could this be, you're not here with me.
You never said goodbye, someone tell me why,
Did you have to go, and leave my world so cold.
Everyday I sit and ask myself how did love slip away?
Something whispers in my ear and says that:

"You are not alone, For I am here with you,
Though you're far away, I am here to stay.
For you are not alone, I am here with you,
Though we're far apart, you're always in my heart,
For you are not alone.'

Just the other night, I thought I heard you cry,
Asking me to come, and hold you in my arms.
I can hear your prayers, your burdens I will bear,
But first I need your hand, then forever can begin."


You are truly not alone, Michael, not because all your fans are around you even in death, but because God never left you. Now, wherever you are, may He rest you and remember you in His mercy.

Rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment