Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sisterhood

I spent the entire afternoon of this great feast day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the hospital in Long Island. One of our elderly Sisters needed a procedure done and I accompanied her. I could think of many ways to really celebrate our Patroness' feast but instead I found myself doing something else, and being somewhere else. There was a twitch of regret and envy over what other Carmelites were doing today. Ah! If only...
But the Holy Spirit spoke to me in the inner quiet of my heart. Isn't this what a Carmelite is all about? "Burnt offerings and sacrifices you wish not. But a heart open to obedience.. Behold, here I am! I come to do your Will." Grand celebrations and elaborate liturgies are appropriate for such a Mother in heaven. But they really serve us and our spiritual needs more than our Lady's. If God does not grant it, I must not need it. My Sister's need is more important than my vain wishes. That is what living in Community is all about. "Love one another as I love you," says Jesus. True love is proven by spending oneself for the other. Despite a quiet and "ordinary" day, I was with the Mother of Carmel all day. She would not have done it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment