Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Traffic Lesson


photo: www.silive.com

Driving along the Cross Bronx Expressway is a real penance. And yet, that is what I do everytime I go home to NJ from Queens, NY on my days off. It doesn't matter what time of the day you hit the road, something unpredictable always seems to happen on that route. This afternoon was one of those days. As I was busy going and stopping in this unfortunate afternoon, I hit a bend where I can see the length of the cars and trucks ahead of me. My heart sank! It seemed to me that I would never reach the end where my exit was going to be. Then I heard a small voice in my head whisper: "Keep your gaze on the car in front of you. Before you know it, you will arrive." Then it dawned on me that the reason most people get so disheartened and discouraged is because they like to look far ahead most of the time. We always seem to want to know what is to come. Now, in some cases that could be a virtue but in most cases it's a cause of worry and concern. More often than not the future can be daunting. It's not so much that the future itself is ominous but that our imagination takes us to places which do not exist and presents imaginary, insurmountable obstacles. At least, that is often my experience. Whether it be a new assignment, a new trial, a new problem to be solved-I always find myself doing the math and feeling either anxious or overwhelmed. More often than not, the problems never materialize. We always seem to expect to find lions in our hallways. God save us, we are silly people! I speak for myself.

And so I did exactly what the Spirit told me. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get home from the usual 45 minutes. That's not too bad. And I arrived at my destination safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment